ENGINEERING – USS RENAISSANCE HISTORY
A name is more than an identifying feature. It defines us…it shapes our direction…it brings our mission into sharp focus.
The name, “USS Renaissance”, represents who we are – and who we wish to become…reborn, renewed, refreshed, reinvigorated.
We are STARFLEET – we come to serve.
However, it should be noted that our original ship designation was USS Nomad and it is important to acknowledge from whence we came.
Here, then, is a short history of our beginnings.
NX-72382 – IN THE BEGINNING
The name Nomad has a history in Star Trek from almost the beginning. In The Original Series episode entitled “The Changeling” (S2E3), we meet NOMAD as a terran prototype computer space probe which had been transformed into a terminator of “imperfect biological beings”. A frightening start!
As for STARFLEET International, the Starship Nomad has a history that spans nearly 3 decades.
The fist ship was the shuttlecraft Nomad, based out of Leavenworth, Kansas, in Region 12. She was launched from the USS Stargazer in 1991, under the Command of Commander Mike Malotte. In 1992, Shuttle NOMAD was recognized as the Region 12 Shuttle of the year and was commissioned as a full chapter that same year. She was redesigned as Constitution Class refit with the registry number NCC-1805, with the motto “Second star to the right and straight on ’til morning.”
In February of 1997, the Nomad was again refitted and recommissioned as the USS Nomad, NCC-78500, a Nomad Class Exploratory Cruiser, and served as the Flagship of Region 12 while Captain Malotte was the R12 Region Coordinator.
Cmdr. Mike Malotte was the original CO of the Nomad. When he left the ship (Malotte moved from Kansas to Arkansas), Ken Janasz took over as Commanding Officer, to be followed in turn by Carl Johnson. When Captain Johnson became R12 RC, PJ Trotter assumed command.
Fleet Admiral Mike Malotte came back as CO in 2006 and oversaw her decommissioning. The Nomad was retired in 2006, after 15 years of distinguished service, having served twice as R12 Flagship and once as Fleet Flagship.
USS NOMAD – NOVA CLASS
On the 23rd of June 2020, the NOMAD was relaunched as a NOVA class Starship. Bearing registry NX-72382 the ship’s name drew inspiration from the Nordic Nomads of Earth’s Viking history. On November 23rd, 2020 the Nomad was commissioned to NCC-72382.
The Nova-class NOMAD was built at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards and was designed to serve as a science and scout vessel. This line of ships was one of the first to be fitted with the Emergency Medical Hologram program.
Additionally, the ship carried over some of the spaceframe originally designed in the Defiant Pathfinder project, which included a recessed bridge that was protected from conventional attacks by an outer ring. From here, the entire ship could be operated with as little as two officers. There was a hypersonic Waverider shuttle, docked to the underside of the saucer section, and she was designed to land and launch from a planet’s surface when needed.
NCC-74874 – USS RENAISSANCE TODAY
On October 10, 2022, by order of STARFLEET Command, the crew of the USS Nomad was directed to return to Spacedock at Starbase 13 at which time the crew transferred to the newly commissioned Sovereign Class vessel the USS Renaissance NCC 74874.
At this time, the USS Nomad NCC-72382 was decommissioned.
This new ship afforded us the opportunity to continue our mission of bringing help to those in need. Our dedicated crew strives to carry out missions of charity and continues to distinguish themselves as a beacon of hope in the universe.
The crew is comprised of people from a variety of backgrounds and each member contributes what they can to ensure the work is accomplished and other members are supported. Members are encouraged and rewarded by one other and through promotions within the ranks.
The USS Renaissance is a place where all are respected and each crew member is encouraged to bring their unique perspective to the table.
“Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations”
TIMELINE OF EVENTS
- In 1991, the name “Nomad” first came on the scene when the USS Stargazer, under the command of Mike Malotte, launched its shuttlecraft with that name.
- In 1992, the starship Nomad was commissioned and redesigned as a Constitution Class with the registry number NCC -1805. The ship’s motto at that time was “Second star to the right and straight on “til morning”.
- In February 1997, the Nomad was again refitted and became an Exploratory Cruiser – the U.S.S Nomad NCC-78500. The original CO of that ship was Mike Malotte. Following in his footsteps were Ken Janasz, Carl Johnson, and PJ Trotter – all Captains of the Nomad.
- In 2006, Fleet Admiral Mike Malotte came back as CO and the Nomad was decommissioned after 15 years of service.
- On June 23, 2020, the Nomad was relaunched again but now as a Nova-class ship NX-72382; then on November 23, 2020, it was commissioned again as NCC-72382 under the command of the previous captain, with a new motto of “without freedom of choice, there is no creativity”.
- On February 11, 2021, the Nomad ship was upgraded to a Sovereign Class ship to accommodate the growing crew size.
- On March 2, 2021, the USS Nomad tested the warp core and on March 9, 2021, she was fully functional as the new website was launched.
- On April 1, 2021, the new Sovereign class Nomad ship became the flagship of the region.
- On June 23, 2022, a new Commanding Officer, Executive Officer and Department Chiefs are named.
- On July 2, 2022, a new motto is adopted – Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. This new motto marks a change of direction for the crew.
- On October 10, 2022, by order of STARFLEET Command, the crew of the USS Nomad is directed to return to Spacedock at Starbase 13 at which time the crew transferred to the newly commissioned Sovereign Class vessel the USS Renaissance NCC 74874. At this time, the USS Nomad 72382 is decommissioned.